Blog updated: October 9, 2014
Timber harvests and road work are potential hazards when using DNR-managed lands for recreation.
This blog will help keep you aware of forest activity on DNR-managed land in Northwest Washington over the next month.
Here are the latest recreation alerts:
- New! Blanchard State Forest — Road building and timber harvest activities will restrict access to the north end of Blanchard Mountain through December 31.
- Harry Osborne State Forest — Read more to learn updates on the Wrangler Connection Trail and Mac Johnson Trail closures.
- Stewart Mountain — Heavy truck traffic continues on the Olsen Creek Road System.
- New! North Fork Road System — The North Fork road system is closed for the fall for road construction.
- New! Alger/Anderson Mountain — Mountain gate is now open for the remainder of the year.
Check back frequently, as we will post updates here as they become available.
Blanchard State Forest - updated 11/7/2014
The Lady Caroline Timber Sale will cause heavy truck traffic and intermittent road closures on the north end of Blanchard State Forest.
During forest work, all visitors should expect unfamiliar conditions, delays, and exercise caution on roads.
- Extended until December 31, 2014: Timber harvest and log haul – road closures to horses Monday through Friday
The road beyond the Blanchard Forest Block – Upper Trailhead will be closed to horses Monday through Friday throughout this project. Visitors are reminded to please drive slowly and give loaded log trucks the right of way.
Though the gate may be open at times, there is no public vehicle access beyond the upper trailhead. The gate may be locked at any time.
View a map of the affected area. Check back with this blog frequently for updates.
Harry Osborne State Forest - updated 8/6/2014
Timber harvest activities have begun in the Harry Osborne State Forest.
Wrangler Connection Trail
A portion of the trail that was closed during timber harvest on the Horsepower Timber Sale has now reopened. Visitors should expect unfamiliar conditions and be aware of possible logging truck traffic in the area. View a map of the trail section that was closed.
Mac Johnson Trail Reopened- updated 8/6/2014
Work on the Mac Johnson Trail (also in the Harry Osborne State Forest) is complete and this trail is now open to the public.
Skagit Chapter of the Backcountry Horsemen has completed a major reconstruction of the Mac Johnson Trail. Group members provided thousands of hours of volunteer labor on this project.
Stewart Mountain - updated 8/6/2014
Road building activities are complete on the Olsen Creek Road System — accessible by Y Rd in Whatcom County. This area is commonly known as Stewart Mountain. Non-motorized users should exercise caution while using the forest roads. Timber harvest will begin later in 2014. Keep an eye on this page for updates
North Fork Road System/Slide Mountain/Racehorse Creek - updated 9/29/2014
Users can expect the North Fork road system to be closed for road construction through the end of autumn. The area was previously open during construction but extensive vandalism and equipment damage has forced DNR staff to close the gate.
Non-motorized users should exercise caution and expect unfamiliar road conditions during this time.
Alger/Anderson Mountain - Updated 10/9/2014
The Alger/Anderson Mountain gate is now open for the rest of the year to provide recreational hunting access.
Remember these rules when recreating on Alger/Anderson Mountain:
- No fires are allowed in this area
- Leave no trace: pack out what you pack in
- Do not travel off designated roads
- Do not go around closed gates
- Please respect private property boundaries
|Follow DNR on:|