As you plan your weekend adventure, be sure you have these top 10 essential outdoor items to bring along, especially if you’re planning on traveling to the backcountry or heading out on the water:
- Matches/fire starter for emergencies (be sure you know fire safety rules)
- Communication device, such a cell phone and/or radio
- Compass (GPS units are helpful, but don’t rely on electronics)
- Extra food and water
- Extra clothing
- Sun protection (sunglasses, hat, sunscreen)
- First Aid Kit – and first aid training
- Knife (the multi-tool knives are ideal)
Know before you go. Check the Department of Natural Resources’ recreation page before you head out to see if there are any notices about your destination.
Don’t forget to grab your Discover Pass as you head out to enjoy the last of summer.
|Follow DNR on:|