Did you know that volunteers can earn vouchers toward a complimentary Discover Pass by putting in 24 hours of time working on eligible projects on recreation lands managed by DNR, Washington State Parks, or Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife?
Here are the details:
1. If you are not already a registered volunteer, please contact your local DNR volunteer coordinator or recreation program staff member to complete a Volunteer Registration and Agreement form.
2. Pick a Discover Pass-eligible event from DNR’s volunteer calendar (volunteer events from State Parks and Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife may also count toward your complimentary voucher).
3. Attend an eligible work party where you will receive a volunteer voucher documenting your hours of service. When you have 24 hours’ worth of eligible vouchers, mail them to the address indicated on the front of the voucher.
What did I hear about volunteer hours?
Recently there have been changes to DNR’s Discover Pass-eligible volunteer project hours. Don’t worry, we’ll keep you in the loop — the changes are summarized below.
- Travel Time – If you bringing materials or equipment for the work party, talk to your volunteer supervisor to see if your travel time to the event will qualify toward the voucher—up to 2 hours.
- Forest Watch Volunteers and Adopt a Trail/Site volunteer hours may now qualify toward the complimentary Discover Pass. Contact your volunteer supervisor for more information.
Volunteers are instrumental in keeping state-managed recreation sites maintained and open. From brushing trails in Capitol State Forest to fixing up ski huts on Mt. Tahoma, volunteers are always willing to give their best to some of Washington’s most beautiful recreation areas.
Other Volunteer Related Blogs
Mark your calendars; National Public Lands Day is September 29
Imagine that, an entire day devoted to maintaining and enhancing public lands across the country! This year DNR is hosting 8 events across the state – there is something for everyone! Check out our blog for the details.
Volunteer Hero Award
Do you have a volunteer hero you would like to nominate? Hurry, nominations close September 28.
|Follow DNR on:|