Blog updated: January 23, 2015
Timber harvests and road work are potential hazards when using DNR-managed lands for recreation.
This blog will help keep you aware of forest activity on DNR-managed land in Northwest Washington over the next month.
Here are the latest recreation alerts:
- New! Blanchard State Forest — Timber harvest and log hauling will result in heavy truck traffic through spring 2015.
- Harry Osborne State Forest — Timber harvest and log hauling will result in heavy truck traffic though spring 2015.
- Stewart Mountain — Heavy truck traffic continues on the Olsen Creek Road System.
- New! North Fork Road System — The North Fork road system is closed for the fall for road construction.
- New! Alger/Anderson Mountain — The Alger/Anderson Mountain gate is now closed for the spring due to an active timber sale.
- New! Van Zandt Dike — The Van Zandt Dike gate is now closed through spring due to an active timber sale.
Check back frequently, as we will post updates here as they become available.
Blanchard State Forest – updated 1/23/15
The Acorn Timber Sale will result in heavy truck traffic through spring in the Blanchard State Forest.
During forest work, all visitors should expect unfamiliar conditions, delays, and exercise caution on roads.
View a map of the affected area. Check back with this blog frequently for updates.
Harry Osborne State Forest – updated 1/23/15
Timber harvest activities have begun in the Harry Osborne State Forest. While this work is not impacting any trails, expect heavy truck traffic.
Mac Johnson Trail Reopened– updated 8/6/2014
Work on the Mac Johnson Trail (also in the Harry Osborne State Forest) is complete and this trail is now open to the public.
Skagit Chapter of the Backcountry Horsemen has completed a major reconstruction of the Mac Johnson Trail. Group members provided thousands of hours of volunteer labor on this project.
Stewart Mountain – updated 1/23/15
Timber harvest on Olsen Creek Road System — accessible by Y Rd in Whatcom County will result in heavy truck traffic through spring. This area is commonly known as Stewart Mountain. Non-motorized users should exercise caution while using the forest roads.
North Fork Road System/Slide Mountain/Racehorse Creek – updated 1/23/2015
Users can expect the North Fork road system to be closed for road construction through the end of autumn. The area was previously open during construction but extensive vandalism and equipment damage has forced DNR staff to close the gate.
Non-motorized users should exercise caution and expect unfamiliar road conditions during this time.
Alger/Anderson Mountain – Updated 1/23/2015
The Alger/Anderson Mountain gate is now closed through the spring for timber harvest.
Remember these rules when recreating on Alger/Anderson Mountain:
- No fires are allowed in this area
- Leave no trace: pack out what you pack in
- Do not travel off designated roads
- Do not go around closed gates
- Please respect private property boundaries
Van Zandt Dike — Updated 1/23/15
The Van Zandt Dike gate is now closed through the spring for timber harvest activities.
|Follow DNR on:|